iRest Yoga Nidra Training
Restful Being offers the only iRest Yoga Nidra training in the UK. iRest is a complete yoga nidra practice that emphasises deep heartfelt listening and welcoming, which in turn produces profound healing for yourself and those you may work with. iRest Yoga Nidra incorporates meditative self-inquiry, interactive dialogue, mind/body deep rest as well as one-one and group deliveries of guided relaxations. It was developed by renowned clinical psychologist, author and yogic scholar, Richard C. Miller, Ph.D., who is the founding president of the Integrative Restoration Institute (IRI) and with whom Restful Being lead teacher James Reeves has trained and studied extensively. James is the only IRI-sponsored iRest Yoga Nidra teacher trainer in the UK and Restful Being offers both Level 1 (Basic) and Level 2 (Advanced) iRest Training programmes (full details of the course content can be found below). Our programmes are undertaken by yoga teachers and therapists from other disciplines as well as individuals from all backgrounds/disciplines interested in the practice for their own personal development.
The Only Yoga Nidra Practice Substantiated by Research
iRest is the only yoga nidra practice that is substantiated by extensive and continuing research. Consequently, the protocol has been applied in settings not typically open to standard yoga practices (such as the US military) and attendees undertaking iRest training will be able to differentiate their approach from other yoga nidra practitioners.
iRest Yoga Nidra Training, Level 1:
1-6 Oct 2017, Iffley, Oxford (non residential). 6pm start on 1st and 12 noon finish on 6th **FULLY BOOKED** email to join waiting list
Ireland: iRest Yoga Nidra Training, Level 1, 2-6 December 2017 - all details, including how to book, can be found on the Living Yoga website
iRest Yoga Nidra Training, Level 1, 25-30 May 2018, The Cotswolds, Oxford -booking formally opens Sep 2017; email to register your interest by 15 Sept 2017 firstname.lastname@example.org
iRest Yoga Nidra Training, Level 2, 22-26 October 2018, The Cotswolds, Oxfordshire. Email email@example.com by 31 December 2017 to register your interest and secure first refusal. Bookings open early 2018 at the £795 early bird rate.
WHAT MAKES IREST DIFFERENT TO OTHER YOGA NIDRA PRACTICES?
- Secular approach, with modern language and terms, making it easily accessible
- Does not impose specific imagery or other suggestions that may be inappropriate/ineffective for the practitioner
- The practitioner develops an ‘inner resource’ allowing them to anchor themselves and return to a safe place at any point during the practice
- Instructors are trained in how to attend to emotional abreactions that may re-trigger trauma or shut down healing
- Individual members of a group are encouraged to choose how they want to participate (i.e. the emotions they want to work with, or imagery that is relevant/has meaning for them), rather than the same, uniform instructions being applied to everyone in the group
- Focus on welcoming all emotions as they arise and accepting life as it is, rather than avoiding or escaping situations through ‘forced’ relaxation
- iRest has been used in military settings since 2006; all the research on yoga nidra in military settings to date has been done using the iRest protocol
- Level I Training provides you with the basic principles, history, theory, practice and delivery of iRest. This will allow you to incorporate the simple 10-step iRest protocol into your personal life, professional teaching or clinical practice.
Level 1: BAsic IRest training
Level 1 iRest Yoga Nidra training is a five-day intensive course, comprising theory, practice and discussion, suitable for anyone interested in deepening their own practice or working with yoga nidra in a yogic or therapeutic setting. The course will provide an understanding of:
- The historical context and path of meditation in which iRest is embedded
- The Eastern and Western psycho-spiritual perspectives that form the path of meditation and iRest
- The evidence-based research showing the efficacy of iRest and its use with different psycho-physical issues and populations
- iRest within the context of meditation
- The teacher-student relationship, teaching issues and ethical considerations
- The Ten Steps of iRest
- How to use iRest for your personal practice
- How to teach iRest to groups and individuals
- The training provides the opportunity to participate in group lectures and peer discussion groups, and to receive and participate in multiple iRest experiential group and one-on-one practice sessions
LEVEL 2: Advanced iRest Training
Level 2 iRest Yoga Nidra training is a four-day intensive course designed to provide you with a deeper understanding of the principles underlying the theory, practice and delivery of iRest Yoga Nidra so that you can hone your delivery of iRest to groups and individuals in public and professional settings. You will:
- Receive advanced training in teaching iRest to groups and individuals
- Participate in advanced group lectures and peer discussion groups
- Understand the teacher-student relationship, teaching issues and ethical considerations
- Receive advanced iRest experiential group and one-on-one practice sessions
- Enhance your understanding of the historical context and the path of meditation in which iRest is embedded.
- Learn Eastern and Western psycho-spiritual views that inform iRest and the path of meditation
- Learn about evidence-based research showing the efficacy of iRest with different populations
- Deepen your personal practice of iRest
Completing the iREST Certification Process
After completing the Level 1 you are able to incorporate the iRest teachings into your courses/work, and promote this fact. In order to become listed as a 'Certified iRest Teacher' you must undergo the certification process (beginning any time after you have completed Level 1). Certification involves one-one mentoring (often by Skype) as well as completing a number of distance-learning tasks. For more information please refer to the IRI website.
About the Venues
Iffley, Oxford City
Iffley Church Hall is a charming space tucked away just off the River Thames in Iffley village, which offers the convenience of being within the Oxford city ring-road while being peaceful and picturesque. See our accommodation recommendations here.
Warwick Hall, Burford, Oxfordshire
A stunning state-of-the-art venue set in the heart of the 'gateway to the Cotswolds'. Burford and surrounding villages offer a wealth of accommodation options. Watch this space for our recommendations, coming soon!
Cost and Bookings
- Level 1, Iffley, Oxford, non-residential, October 2017: £895 FULLY BOOKED - email to join cancellations/waiting list
- Level 1, Dublin, Ireland, 2-6 Dec 2017 - all bookings and further details via the Living Yoga website
- Level 1, Burford, The Cotswolds, Oxfordshire, 25-30 May 2018: Early bird £795, £895 thereafter - register your interest by 15 September 2017 by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Level 2, Burford, The Cotswolds, Oxfordshire, 22-26 October 2018. Bookings open early 2018 (£795 early bird, £895 thereafter) Email now to register your interest and secure first refusal (by 31 Dec 2017).
© 2017 Restful Being.